Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Happy New Year

I have to admit that I'm intrigued by the current fad in painting and finishing techniques known as color modulation.  Color modulation by itself is too stark, but when combined with various weathering techniques can produce a model that really catches the eye.  I've read various articles by Mig Jimenez, Adam Wilder and others modelers who have popularized the technique to understand the process.  I decided to take the easy route and use the AK Interactive 4BO Green modulation set rather than mix the paints myself.

The set consists of six matched acrylic colors that come pre-thinned for air brushing.  I believe that they are produced for AK by Vallejo.  So in theory they should behave like Vallejo's Model Air line that I've previously used, and be compatible with other Vallejo acrylic products.  For the most part I found this true, and like Vallejo's Model Air, they tend to clog my airbrush quickly.  I have to admit that my airbrushing skills are not the greatest.  Adding Liquitex Flow-Aid help reduce the clogging problem, and an occasional needle cleaning with a cotton swab dampened with airbrush cleaner is all that is needed to get things spraying normally again.


OK, that's enough of a review....on to the model.  Here's my Hobby Boss KV-1 Ekranami using the AK 4BO Green set.  I still need to clear coat it, and then let the weathering begin!  I think I've captured the essence of the technique fairly well.  It's not perfect, but not bad for my first try at the technique.




No comments: