Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hurricane's sibling!

I've hit my normal summer modelling slow down.  I haven't abandoned modelling completely, but have been slowly plugging away on a couple of Dragon 1/72 kits, and my build of Tamiya's 1/48 scale M4.  I've decided Hurricane will be my main AMPS '09 build, getting most of my extra attention.  I'll continue my normal 10 -15 kits at ones, but build the others mostly "out of the box."

I've got the two famous pictures of Hurricane, which are great, but they aren't the best resolution, and leave a lot for interpretation.  While poring over my Sherman references I found an interesting picture in Michael Green's "M4 Sherman at War."  There was a nice clear picture of an M4 taken from the left front corner.  The remark under the photo mentioned said that it was a "staged shot," but it remarkably resembled Hurricane!  

Hey, is that an H on the turret???...Hmmm...it's got a one piece transmission just like Hurricane...Hey those tracks are the same T51 rubber block Hurricane had...wait a second it's been water proofed for an amphibious assault.....look at those unit marking....2 delta 66 delta...Hurricane was 2nd Armored Division, 66th Armoured Regiment, wasn't it????.....What's that name on the side....Hawkeye!



While doing research for Huricane earlier this year I remember reading a comment on Missing-Lynx Allied forum that Hawkeye was a sister tank to Hurricane.  However, I've never seen a picture of it.  Now I've got this great shot of Hawkeye, and while it's not Hurricane it's reasonable to assume H Company would make their tanks the same and have similar stowage arrangements, etc.  This picture also has made me decide to do Huuricane in amphibious configuration.  Now I just need to build or buy some deep wadinf trunks! 

Also a little blog house keeping has been done.  A bunch of the braille scalers have gotten together and reserected Doug Chaltry's "On the Way" (including Doug).  In the mean time Doug has put together another great braille scale site dedicated to 1/72 scale Shermans.  It also looks like my wife took down her blog, so I've removed that link. She got quite the following on blogger, but got all blogged out with the pressure. She's now big into all things fiber (spinning it into yarn and has directed her web aspirations to something called Ravelry. So all the female followers I had Jo/Kiwijo had, will know where to find her!

No comments: